This position is based in Buffalo, NY. Relocation assistance is available.
The Development Engineer reports to the Global Director of R&D, and has responsibility to work on the development and implementation of novel technologies related to melting and fiberization, and forming and finishing processes. The Development Engineer will support projects focused on fiber making process, forming (mat, blanket, vacuum-formed shapes, et al.) and finishing (online/offline processing) in support of company-wide strategic initiatives. This position will work leading product development projects according to the need of the market and will work closely with manufacturing, engineering, marketing and technical functions to accomplish objectives and bring projects to completion. This role is based at our Corporate Headquarters in our R&D Center of Excellence in Tonawanda, NY. Relocation assistance is available for the right candidate.
- Develops innovative solutions to complex problems and solicits creative concepts from other technical specialists for both process and product development
- Develops, coordinates, directs and participates in assigned product development projects
- Designs and conducts experiments to prove feasibility of new process concepts. Designs and manages fabrication of prototype equipment as required
- Provides bench, laboratory, pilot and production plant field trial for process development projects
- Provide recommendations for safe equipment operation and appropriate application of available technology
- Leads cross-functional teams, utilizing strong communication techniques
- Use team oriented interpersonal skills to achieve team objectives
- Support introduction of new technology concepts in order to improve and/or change current processes
- B.S. Degree in chemistry, chemical engineering or materials science required, advanced degree preferred (M.S. or Ph.D.)
- 5+ years of experience in a technical R&D project lead role, developing and implementing new products
- Experience in a manufacturing environment, particularly scaling R&D project into production process
- Experience with glass or ceramic materials highly preferred
- Self-starter able to bring tasks and projects through to completion and prioritize own workload
- Strong interpersonal skills and communication skills to work together in a team with employees and management
- Well-developed skills to effectively work with cross-functional teams.
- Ability to supervise technicians.
- 10% Travel required.